One of the easiest ways to save money on your electric bill is to replace incandescent light bulbs with compact florescent light bulbs. Like anything new, there are pro’s and cons. I think that with CFL’s the pro’s far out weigh the con’s.
- Uses one fifth or less power compared to ordinary light bulbs.
- Less power consumption also means less heat created which means an extended life on light fixtures and associated devices like dimmers and switches.
- Easy to install. CFL’s come in many sizes and fit most standard fixtures.
- In-expensive. The cost of CFL’s has come down significantly. The return on investment for making the switch can be realized in only a few months.
- Savings on your electric bill is immediate.
- Conserving electricity benefits us all. It keeps the demand to produce power down which keeps the cost of electricity down therefore saving us money and minimizing the impact that power production has on our environment.
- CFL’s won’t last the 10,000 hours promised if switched on and off frequently. CFL’s do best when left on rather then switched on and off frequently. They are excellent in situations where you just want to leave a light on 24/7. I’ve had one last almost 3 years just left on always only consuming 9 watts.
- Unless specified they don’t work with dimmers. You can purchase dimmable CFL’s but they cost more.
- They take a while to warm up to full brightness. this can be annoying in some situations but one grows accustomed to it.
- They do contain small amounts of mercury so they must be disposed of responsibly.
All and all I’d say that CFL’s are a good example of how new, affordable technology can help us all to live better quality lives while preserving the limited resources we’ve been blessed with for future generations!
Furst Electric is A family owned licensed electrical contractor. Tom Furst is a Licensed Journeyman electrician. We provide electrician services in the Atlanta Metro area. Call Tom at *** 770 883 0968 *** for prompt, professional electrical service or visit us at www.furstelectric.com.
First in Quality, First in Service, Furst Electric for all your wiring needs! Expert troubleshooting! Electricians with 20 years experience! We serve industrial, commercial and residential customers who need electrical work for Lighting, Wiring, Installation or Repair, Panel Upgrade, Plug, Switch, Fan, Motor, Controls, Code Compliance Corrections, Data, Phone, TV Cable and more! Free Quote From Licensed Electrical Contractors. Furst Electric Contractors.